New Jersey’s Clean Energy Program recently announced the opening of the Bulk Appliance Recycling Program for multifamily properties. Buildings with at least five dwelling units are eligible to receive rebates when recycling five or more working refrigerators, freezers, room air conditioners, or dehumidifiers at a time. Eligible properties may receive a $50 rebate for each recycled refrigerator or freezer, and $25 for each room air conditioner or dehumidifier. Additional program details and requirements are as follows:
- Refrigerators and freezers must be between 10 and 30 cubic feet in size.
- Room air conditioners must be removed from windows and dehumidifiers should be drained of water.
- All appliances must be owned by the customer and operational at the time of pick up.
- To mitigate the spread of COVID-19, all appliances for each scheduled pickup must be collected in a centralized location for each scheduled pickup. Due to current COVID-19 conditions, either outside or in an open warehouse or storage facility.
- To schedule a pickup, call 1-866-NJSMART (1-866-657-6278). When you call, please provide the following information:
- Property Manager or building manager name
- Contact person, phone, and email address
- Complex or location name
- Street address (including city and zip code)
- Electric Utility
- Unit Type (Refrigerator, Room AC, etc.), total quantity, and quantity of each type to be recycled
- Pickup location, e.g. parking lot, garage, etc.
- Any specific issues with truck access
- Potential pickup dates
- A program representative will then contact you with the scheduled pick-up date.
To schedule a pickup, call 1-866-NJSMART (1-866-657-6278). Pickups will be contactless to ensure safety and to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. For additional program details and requirements, please click here.